There are lots of pretty papers and decorated boxes to wrap presents on the market today. Ever think of making a pillowcase to wrap your gifts in? I started making them last year.
My daughter likes nature; my granddaughter likes owls; and my grandnephews are crazy about vehicles. I found fabric to fit all those needs.
LEARN HOW TO MAKE A PILLOWCASE IN THIS TUTORIAL.
MATERIALS FOR A PILLOWCASE
For one pillowcase you will need:
27” main fabric
9” coordinating fabric for the cuff
2” contrasting fabric for the piping
Pre-wash and press all fabric.
DIRECTIONS FOR HOW TO MAKE A PILLOWCASE:
Step1: Fold the main fabric in half, bringing the selvedges together. Smooth out any wrinkles.
2. Fold in half again, position your ruler to align with the bottom folds. Use your rotary cutter and cut a straight line.
3. Measure 27 inches and cut a straight line.
4. Straighten the cuff piece like the main pillowcase fabric and cut a two inch strip.
5. Cut a 9 inch cuff the width of the fabric.
6. Lay the three pieces together making sure to align the folds and the raw edges.
7. Cut off the selvedges and make sure each fabric is the same length.
8. Lay the cuff fabric right side up; then lay the main fabric right side up (matching right side to wrong side); adding the piping piece which has been ironed in half.
9. Roll up the main fabric.
10. Bring the cuff up around the roll of fabric; pinning the raw edges together.
11. Sew all the layers together with a quarter inch seam.
12. Press the seam.
13. Grab the main fabric and pull right side out.
14. Smooth flat.
15. Press flat.
16. I chose to topstitch the cuff.
17. Fold pillowcase in half with wrong sides together; matching the piping and the cuff. You also can choose to fold the pillowcase in half with the right sides together and sew a half inch seam and finish it by serging, zig zag, or pinking the edges
18. Iron the seams.
19. Make a diagonal cut on the corners.
20. Use a point turner for the corners.
21. Turn the pillowcase right side out.
22. Press the seams.
23. Congratulations! Your pillowcase is finished!